1/21/12

My Current Relationship

I have been married to Todd for almost 9 years. We met in high school when we were both 17 and dated for 5 years before we got married. During the early years of our relationship we were both struggling with a lot of loss. (His mother passed about a year before we met and mine was in a horrible life altering car accident about a year after) I think a lot of our bonding during those years was about “getting” what the other one was going through when many of our friends at the time did not.



We grew from teens to adults together and made some important decisions about who we would become as adults together. We started our first year of college living at home and communing to Weber State. We drove to and from classes together then went on to work separately later in the afternoon. One year later we moved out on our own (in separate apartments of course) and when to college at Utah State (me first and Todd following a few months later). We had an awesome time At Utah State and I think that both of us would tell you it will forever be a high point in our lives.

Todd is my best friend and the only person I know who understands me fully. I am often uncomfortable asking for help or taking things from other people, I often find myself in relationships of all kinds where I give a lot. Most of the time this is a really good thing and I like it but every once in a while it is nice to recharge the batteries. Todd is one of the very few people in my life who recharges my batteries. He has defiantly been a mellowing influence in my life (like all of my siblings spouses, us Parkins are born a little tightly wound).

Todd and I enjoy doing a lot of simple things together especially reading and swapping books so that we can talk about them later. We like traveling and have been to some very cool places together. We like watching odd or foreign films and used to be very into the Academy Awards hosting a party every year. I love going to Art exhibits, festivals and museums together because we can both wonder freely with out pressure to hurry up because our pacing is the same. I always feel rushed with other people it seems but not Todd. We also going on picnics and hanging out at Barns and Noble (Our favorite free dates in college). Now days we spend more time working on fixing up our house together.

No comments: