1/25/12

My Views on Religion

I was brought up in the Mormon religion but as a young adult I choose to leave. This was a choice that I spent a great deal of time deliberating about and at times it still causes conflict with my family as they are all still active members.



I think that losing my mother and the reaction of the church and its members to all the many deep issues surrounding her injuries first sparked my break with formal religion. I really struggle with the message/ concept that god intentionally causes pain in order to teach lessons. Or that providing trials is God’s way of proving the blessing of growth. I also struggle with the inequality that exists between men and women in the religion, their views on gay rights, spiritual plural marriage (that a man can be sealed to more than one woman but a woman cannot be sealed to more than one man) and several other beliefs.


I do not currently believe in any formal religion. I do find the idea or reincarnation very appealing because I believe that the purpose of life is to gain knowledge and understanding and think that the ability to live the lives of many different people in different places and times supports that.

2 comments:

Polly said...

If there was a "like" button, I'd hit it.

dawnell Osmond said...

God does not intentionally give us pain. As we are human, pain comes with living. God is there to let us know He loves us and will be there for us when we are in pain, just ask for His help to get thru it. I love you much, Amy, You have some fantastic ideas and you are my ideal. Love Grandma O.